Altstadtkirche St. Martin,
The Protestant Altstadtkirche (Old Town Church) of St. Martin the oldest church in Pforzheim. Built on Roman walls, it was destroyed and rebuilt again and again during many centuries. It combines numerous architectural styles and is an important contemporary witness of Pforzheim.
Official content of
Partly built on Roman wall remains, the Protestant Old Town Church of St. Martin is the oldest church in Pforzheim. The naming after the Frankish bishop St. Martin of Tours indicates that the church was built in the Frankish-Carolingian period in the 7th-9th century.
The Old Town Church combines components from Romanesque and Gothic times as well as from the 19th and 20th centuries. In it one can find remarkable art-historical testimonies in the form of gothic wall paintings. These were only 1946, after the destruction by the Allies during the war,
The Romanesque tympanum with Christ, the lion and the cock as well as the frescoes from around 1430 in the High Gothic choir are very interesting both artistically and structurally.
Hours of operation
How to find us
How to get there
Arrival by car:
By car you can drive directly to the church. There are some parking spaces to the left of the church.
Arrival by bus:
Take bus line 3, 6 or 9 to the bus stop Altstädter Brücke.