The chapel is next to the Witterschnee Pilgrimage Church.
Official content of
History of the “Witterschneekreuz” (Witterschnee Cross):
In the winter of 1740, a traveller was caught in a snow storm on a summit which was named “Itirsne” in the 11th century. It later became known as “Witarsne”. In his distress, he swore that, if he was saved, he would erect a cross in the place of his rescue. Today, the pilgrimage church sits on the spot where the traveller heard a bell and met some passing loggers who led him back to Löffingen. The man kept his vow.
The wooden chapel by the “Witterschneekreuz” was built in 1846 and 1847. Before its reconstruction in the 19th century, it was transported to its current location on wooden wheels.