Menu
Chapel

Chapel of the Sacred Heart

Johann-Anton-Morath-Weg ,  79865 Grafenhausen / Ortsteil Staufen
Open 24 hours

Highly spiritual – The Black Forest was often a harsh and difficult living environment for its former inhabitants. There was no insurance in the event of illness, fire, poor harvests, or other turns of fate. Help and salvation was sought through the belief in the living God and the intercessions of the saints. Henceforth, chapels were built in the districts and hamlets far from the parish churches in the village. They are “small churches without their own clergy”. It was in these chapels that people once sought hope and assurance in times of need. 

Official content of Grafenhausen

Ihre Sicherheit liegt uns am Herzen

Informationen zur Corona Pandemie. Verordnungen, getroffene Schutzmaßnahmen und Angebote. Hier finden Sie einen aktuellen Überblick…

The Chapel of the Sacred Heart was newly built in the centre of Staufen next to the school building in 1909. The building materials were transported on carts drawn by oxen and cows from nearby stone quarries. The altar with its various holy figures was also made by a local inhabitant named Konrad. In those days, the Schulz estate was known as “s’ Draiers”. Explanation: Draier was a cartwright and woodturner.

How to find us