In the center of the city is today's Protestant city church with its 37 meter high bell tower. A first church in the valley of the associated settlement to the monastery on the Michaelsberg was consecrated by Abbot Adelgerus in 1132.
Official content of
Around 1500 it was replaced by a new building. With the change of denomination of the Electoral Palatinate, the church was rededicated at first lutheran and then reformed. This did not last very long. In the course of a return to catholicism, Elector Johann Wilhelm ordered the division of churches in 1705. The catholics then celebrated their services in the choir area, separated from the nave by a shield wall, in which the reformed could gather. In the 1780s, the church was rebuilt due to its dilapitdated state.