In 1877 a new “Higher Civic School” was built on the old cemetery along Werderstrasse, which had been unused for 30 years. Karl Wilhelmi found individual graves of the Merovingian period (5th to 8th centuries AD) on the site in 1845 and 1846.
Official content of
In 1954 the building was converted into Wilhelmi-Gymnasium through numerous additions and extensions. Extensive renovation work followed in 1979/1980 and the local special-needs school moved in. On March 31, 1980 it was officially renamed the Carl Orff School.