Built in 1402 and named after the guard family Gutgesell, in 1415 Pope John XXIII was arrested at this gate while fleeing from the Constance Council. Today, the upper floor houses the Narrenzunftstube.
Official content of
“Gutgesellentor” (The Gutgesell Gate) first mentioned in 1319, current building from 1402. Rebuilt after war destruction 1950/56. Since 1936, meeting place for the Narrenzunft (the carnival association). Pope Johannes XXIII was arrested here on 25.4.1415 while escaping from the Council of Constance.