Historische Hofanlage Milz e. V.,
Kressbronn am Bodensee
Insight into preserved time Former farm and sheriff's estate Cultural monument of special importance
Official content of
Kressbronn am Bodensee
A precious treasure of rural culture of the Lake Constance region can be discovered in Retterschen, a suburb of Kressbronn: a typical former farm in its original location in the middle of the village, with a centuries-old history, with buildings and furnishings that have been preserved in rare completeness and originality, filled with traces of a changeful development that generations of farming families have left behind.
The history of the farm, uninhabited since 1992, can be traced back to the earliest possession of the monastery of St. Gallen in Retterschen around 800. Until 1809, the estate was owned as a large-scale peasant fief by respected foreign landlords (Lords of Stegen, wealthy citizens of the imperial city of Lindau, Lords of Sirgenstein) and was farmed by their serfs. Since the middle of the 17th century, the Huster family lived on the farm, which they were able to acquire as property in 1809. In the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century, in the course of the agricultural structural changes, the family carried out the modernization of the farm and the buildings. Under Schultheiß Franz JosephHuster, the estate had a special position as Schultheißenhof of the then municipality of Nonnenbach, which was not united with the former municipality of Hemigkofen to form the present municipality of Kressbronn until 1934. Soon after his election, Schultheiß Huster had the residential part rebuilt in 1855 in a representative style for the time and equipped with an office, in which the municipal administration had its seat until 1870. After the two world wars in the 20th century with their noticeable consequences for the family, there was a gradual decline with the abandonment of agriculture until the touching fate of the last inhabitant Theresia Milz, who died in 2000. Today, a total of four buildings from three centuries form an impressive ensemble: - Main house (1855/75) with living quarters, stables and hayloft. - barn (1717) with threshing floor, sheaf floor, wine cellar and must press - shed (1803) with fruit cellar, harness room, hop kiln, wagon shed and woodshed - Bakehouse (1705).
The buildings have preserved traditional architectural forms that have become rare. Their changes of use and conversions document the agricultural structural changes that have taken place at Lake Constance since the 19th century: From grain and wine cultivation, predominant since the Middle Ages, to dairy farming, fruit and hop cultivation. Authentically preserved living quarters and their furnishings recall the everyday life of the farm inhabitants and the change in rural living culture. The complex is complemented by a traditional farm garden and a typical high-trunk meadow. The municipality acquired the farm in 2001 and still owns it today. The association for the preservation of the farmstead Milz e.V., founded in 2002, has since been taking care of the structural preservation and the public utilization of the property as a tenant. On its own responsibility, the association has repaired the buildings, some of which were severely damaged, step by step in a use-neutral manner and to a high degree in accordance with the preservation order. Since the farm is uninhabited, the association can realize an exceptionally authentic preservation concept. In 2012, the building was entered in the monument register of Baden-Württemberg as a cultural monument of special importance. Furthermore, in times without a corona pandemic, the association ensures the revival of the estate with a diverse program of events. The association and its members have received several awards for their dedicated work.
"Tuesday openings" From the beginning of June to the end of August, the farmstead is open for visits every Tuesday from 5 to 7 pm. Admission: Adults 3,00 € Children 1,00 € We look forward to your visit and welcome you. There will be a hygiene concept for the planned courtyard openings. Please inform in advance. "On Sundays in the months of June to August, display boards on the outer facades of the otherwise closed buildings invite visitors to go on a journey of discovery from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.. During a tour of the grounds, the buildings can be viewed from the outside, and at the same time more than 30 display boards provide concise information with numerous pictures about the history, buildings and conservation measures. "Online offers " For all those who would like to take a closer look at the farmstead, there are two digital offers: The presentation "Tafelrunden" informs on more than 30 boards concisely and with numerous pictures about history, residents, buildings and conservation measures. "I bin all do gsi - desch mi Hoimat" is the title of the second presentation, which is also richly illustrated. It is dedicated to the biography of Theresia Milz (1907-2000), the last inhabitant of the farm. Literature Further information can also be found in the publication Verein zur Erhaltung der Hofanlage Milz e. V. (ed.): Hofanlage Milz in Kressbronn-Retterschen. Insight into preserved time. Kressbronn 2012 and numerous essays in the annual Kressbronn Yearbooks. The publications can be obtained at the tourist information office of the municipality and at the bookstore Lesbar in Kressbronn.