The rich holdings of the museum go back to the collecting activities of the Hohenzollern state conservator Wilhelm Friedrich Laur from the year 1896 onwards. Besides Laur, it was the Hohenzollern archivist Karl-Theodor Zingeler who discovered numerous prehistoric finds, mainly during the construction of the Hohenzollern state railroad. The collection was exhibited at Hohenzollern Castle from 1920 onwards and steadily expanded over the years. With the dissolution of the Hohenzollern Regional Municipal Association in 1972, the collection came into the possession of the city of Hechingen and has been exhibited at its current location in the Old Castle in Hechingen since 1974.
The collection includes pieces from the Palaeolithic Age to the present day. For example, the well-known, extraordinarily rich Bronze Age double grave from Gammertingen is here in the exhibition. It dates from around 1000 BC and was discovered in 1927. Ecclesiastical art is represented by numerous sculptures and paintings. The so-called Laizer Apostle (around 1330) or the famous Stations of the Cross by the sculptor Joachim Taubenschmid (end of the 16th century) should be mentioned here. In addition, everyday objects and portraits of the counts and princes of Hohenzollern as well as furniture and instruments of torture are presented.
On March 11, 2005, the new permanent exhibition on Hohenzollern history was inaugurated in the completely renovated Old Palace. A special exhibition area is used for changing exhibitions, lectures and events for young and old are held.