In the year 1259, Lady Heilika von Finstingen and her husband Walter von Geroldseck donated money to found a hospital together with a monastery to be built near their Lahr castle. In 1482 this monastery was converted into a secular institution and its church became the Lahr municipal parish church. It was then rebuilt in the new Gothic style and is thus one of the earliest examples of Gothic design in the whole Upper Rhine region.
Official content of
Other striking features include the ambo next to the altar (remains of the late Gothic pulpit), a well-preserved, late-Gothic gravestone in the north aisle (that of Jakob von Brombach, a senior civil servant and church advocate who died in Lahr 1554). There is also a large Mühleisen organ inserted above the portals. This new organ was constructed in three stages between 1969 and 1997 and is based on the famous original Silbermann organ which had been destroyed by a fire in 1877. The present-day appearance of the Collegiate Church dates from extensions and renovations in the 19th century.