The Roman estate "Kanzler" in the Kanzlerwald is also called Villa Rustica. The remains of the walls are witnesses of a long gone but glorious time when Pforzheim was still called Portus.
Official content of
The Roman remains date back to the 1st half of the second century and show the foundation walls of the manor house uncovered there. Around 263 AD, when the Limes was overrun by the Germanic tribes, the Villa Rustica was abandoned.
An almost square enclosure wall, about 95 meters long, surrounded various buildings. The enclosure wall was about 60 cm thick. Within this wall the foundation walls of a main building, a bathhouse and three storehouses and servants' quarters with a well can be recognized. The Villa Rustica was accessible through a north and a south gate.
The remains are explained on numerous information boards.
In 1832, the estate was first surveyed by the chief forester Arnsperger. In 1879 the engineer Näher was the first to draw up a ground plan, which was extended by the Pforzheim architects Alfred Waag and J. Koch after further excavations.
From 1966 to 1975, the estate was extensively investigated and restored by the State Monuments Office. Since then, the complex has been open to the public.
How to find us
How to get there
There is a parking lot near the Villa Rustica.
From Wurmberger Strasse / Kanzlerstrasse enter the traffic circle into Heuweg. Follow this to the end, turn left. 150 m further on is a small parking lot on the right.
Parking is free of charge there.
Take bus line 16 to Pforzheim Eppinger Linie.
Detailed information is available at http://www.efa-bw.de/