The gambling ban in the German Reich in 1872 lead to Baden-Baden’s repositioning. The international trend spa became a spa resort and health spa. In the last quarter of the 19th century, the spa quarter was built up near the thermal springs. Extravagant bathing palaces with modern therapy facilities were created here. The beginning was marked by the luxurious Friedrichsbad 1 which opened in 1877. The famous author Mark Twain, who visited the Friedrichsbad the following year, confirmed that it was possible to take any kind of bath ever invented there.
Between 1890 and 1893, the Kaiserin-Augusta-Bad 2 which was designed to be a bath purely for women, was developed as an urban counterpart in the immediate vicinity. Its decorative fittings with marble and faïence even surpassed those of the Friedrichsbad.
Unlike the luxury spas, the Landesbad 3, which opened in 1890, was available to a wide range of social classes by serving as a bath for the people with its clearly limited therapy programme. Along with the Landesbad (known as the ACURA Rheumazentrum today), an inhalatorium 4 was built in 1899 which was used to treat respiratory disease. Located here today is the “Carcalla-Therme”. From 1930, a peloid house on the square in front of the medieval Spitalkirche 5 (hospital church) completed the range of therapies in the spa quarter. In the course of restructuring the spa quarter to a modern area in green surroundings, big parts of the increased historic building fabric were removed in the 1960s. The Kaiserin-Augusta-Bad, peloid house, inhalatorium and a part of the Spitalkirche fell victim to the pickaxe.