The Protestant Stadtkirche (City Church) is the main Protestant church in Pforzheim. It was inaugurated in 1968 and is already the fourth city church, after three previous buildings had been destroyed by wars and fires since the Reformation.
Official content of
The Protestant city church, which was built in 1965-1968 to replace the old city church destroyed in 1945, dominates the townscape with its 80-meter tower. It is located directly at the confluence of the Nagold and Enz rivers.
The church interior, which is designed as a giant cube, evokes early Christian beginnings in its clear austerity.
Concrete glass windows by Wolfgang Käppis (Pforzheim) as "light walls" span a thematic arc from the four primordial elements of the creation story to the Apocalypse of John. The altar room with its seven candlesticks is meant to remind of the seven early Christian churches.
The bronze works by Ulrich Henn: the main portal, the pulpit, and the impressive crucifix, which depicts Christ not in suffering, but as the resurrected Christ in the circle of his disciples with arms outstretched in blessing.
Hours of operation
How to find us
How to get there
From the highway exit Pforzheim-Süd and the federal highways, follow the hotel guidance system or the signs Stadtmitte/CCP. 45 minutes via freeway to Stuttgart airport, 20 minutes to Karlsruhe. There are numerous parking garages in the city center, such as the one near the theater/CCP.
From Pforzheim main station, follow the signs to Stadtmitte / CongressCentrum Pforzheim. It is a 15 minute walk to the Stadtkirche.
Numerous bus lines go to the Waisenhausplatz stop. From there it is a short walk to the Stadtkirche.