Built between 1683 and 1701 for the Freiburg Jesuit College, the church initially belonged to the religious order. A few years after the dissolution of the Jesuit order, in 1793, the church and its auxiliary buildings such as the Old University became the property of the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität.
Informationen zur Corona Pandemie. Verordnungen, getroffene Schutzmaßnahmen und Angebote. Hier finden Sie einen aktuellen Überblick…
The church had been so badly damaged during an air raid in 1944 that the vaults and chancel needed to be rebuilt after the Second World War.
One of the highlights of the church’s simple white interior is the “Gekreuzigten” (Crucified) sculpture by Franz Gutmann. The sculptor from nearby Münstertal in the Black Forest spent two semesters studying Catholic theology at the University of Freiburg, and in 1988 made a permanent loan of his unconventional, monumental depiction of the crucifixion to the University Church.
Not to be missed: Check if there are any organ concerts taking place during your visit. The church acoustics are superb!