Waldshut-Tiengen. The upper town gate is also called the "Gate of Schaffhausen".
Official content of
The tower's foundation dates back to the 13th century. It served as the eastern gateway to the town. The building's upper floors were used to house the Tower keeper who could look out over all the surrounding territories. As Swiss troops besieged the town in 1468, the upper gate was damaged. Until 1864, the gate was used as a prison. During the first half of the 18th century, members of the rebellios Salpeterer movement who belonged to the County of Hauenstein were imprisoned there. While the gate's outer face Shows the coat of arms and a memorial plaque from the year 1932, its inner curface features a portrait of the historical figure "Waldshuter Männle" which was added in the 1960s. With its traditional Hotzenwälder costume it refers back to the myth about the origin of the town's name.