The Residential Palace is one of the few in Baden-Württemberg that have existed since the late Middle Ages. Count Eberhard Bart, the first Duke of Württemberg, was born here and lived here with his Italian wife Barbara Gonzaga di Mantova until they moved to Stuttgart in 1482.
The interior is interesting, in terms of both art history and the history of Baden-Württemberg. It includes the late Gothic dirnitz (a heated reception room) on the ground floor, the Palm Room on the first floor with the ancestral proof of Count Eberhard V. of Württemberg, the baroque White Room and on the second floor, the Renaissance-era Golden Room.
On the third floor (accessible by lift) is something special: an exhibition of 22 magnificently carved and gilded ceremonial sleighs from the Museum of Baden-Württemberg in Stuttgart. These recall the glittering court presided over by Carl Eugen, Duke of Württemberg (1744–1793) during the Baroque period.
An illustrated frieze leads visitors through the whole building and audio guides are also available with information about the history of Württemberg and the palace.
Opening hours 1 April to 31 October: Tues–Sun and public holidays: 10 am–5 pm
1 November to 31 March: Mon and Fri (1 pm–4 pm), Tues and Thurs (10 am–4 pm) and Sat, Sun and public holidays (12 noon–5 pm) Closed