Germans love outlet shopping just as much as Americans do - and the rest of the world. In addition to the Wertheim Village in northern SouthWest Germany, there is also Metzingen, a popular destination for bargain hunters.
About 20 miles/30 km south of Stuttgart, the Metzingen factory outlets feature more than 270 top-quality designer brands, young fashion, leisure wear and outdoor wear. From Adidas and Bally to Tommy Hilfiger and Wolford, OUTLETCITY METZINGEN is all about great fashion at low prices. The main shopping area is a few steps from the center of town, but there are also more great shops in Metzingen itself, as well as a centuries-old wine-making tradition. After shopping, learn more about the city’s seven wine presses at the Wine Growing Museum (Metzinger Weinbaumuseum) – and taste the wines!
Made in SouthWest Germany
Some of the world’s most famous brands are designed and made in SouthWest Germany. These include WMF (cooking ware, glass, cutlery, and tableware), Ritter Sport (chocolate bars), Alb-Gold Noodles (homemade swabian egg-spaetzle, organic, sweet, spicy pasta) and Steiff (teddy bears and other cuddly toys).
Some of these companies have museums; some offer factory tours; others have factory outlet shops. Follow your interests...
- Chocolate: the Museum Ritter is all about the square Ritter Sport bars, in Waldenbuch.
- Cuckoo clocks: still made the traditional way in the Black Forest.
- Jewelry and watches: made and sold in Jewelry World (Schmuckwelten), in Pforzheim.
- Pasta: see how Alb-Gold (Swabian-style pasta) is made, in Trochtelfingen.
- Teddy bears: the Steiff Museum tells the story behind the famous toys, in Giengen an der Brenz.
Shopping in the city
The shopping in SouthWest Germany caters to every taste, with modern international brands, locally-designed souvenirs and specialties. Whether you just window shop, have a look around inside or buy something special, the experience is an enjoyable one!