Hot mulled wine goes back to the time of the Romans, who brought the first wine to Germany and to Baden-Württemberg. It is said that they warmed and spiced the wine during the winter to keep them warm….and happy. Glühwein is generally the seasonal favourite!
Try out our recipe to enjoy it yourself or with friends and family as it is a delicious holiday treat! There are many different versions, so you may want to add some ingredients of your own and call it your home brew.
- 500ml wine
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange sliced
- ½ lemon sliced
- 5 juniper berries
- 2 star of anise
- 10 cloves
- 1 cup/200g sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and give them a quick stir.
- Heat until the wine just barely reaches a simmer over medium-high heat. (Don’t cook too hot — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.)
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Use a fine mesh strainer, remove and discard the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise and ginger.
- Serve warm in heatproof mugs, topped with your favourite garnishes. Enjoy!