The carriage trail was a road that connected Baden-Baden and Bad Rotenfels in the 19th century. After fading into obscurity the path was rediscovered and signposted not long ago.
Beginning at "Hexentanzplatz / Römisches Haus in Bad Rotenfels", you can hike the approximately nine-kilometer trail to Baden-Baden, following the footsteps of the rich and beautiful of the 19th century.
Signs are posted at the various crossroads and point out the way over the mountain to Baden-Baden and back. The carriage trail (Chaisenweg) allowed the region to grow a little bit closer together. Two large signs are posted on Baden-Baden soil, one at Zimmerplatz and another one at Bernhardus Fountain above St. Bernard’s Church , where the trail ends.
This historic route was build for light carriages pulled by one to two horses because Margrave Wilhelm von Baden wanted his summer residence in Rotenfels Castle and the nearby spa building of the Elisabethenquelle (Elisabeth´s spring) to connect with the spa town of Baden-Baden, one of the most mondan spas in Europe at the time.
After the Margrave passed away in 1859 the "Chaisenweg" slowly fell into oblivion.