The Windgfällweiher was enlarged to its current size in 1895. It is now 700 m long and 400 m wide. Some of the water from the Feldsee Lake first flows through the Windgfällweiher before reaching the Schluchsee Lake.
The Schluchseewerk acquired the Windgfällweiher in 1929 in order to build a canal that could channel the water from the Windgefällweiher into Lake Schluchsee. The Windgfällweiher has been a landscape protection area since 1950.
There is a lido with SUP rental directly by the lake.