The present Forestry Commission Office was built in 1760. Living and working here was among others the head forester, Baron Friedrich Heinrich Georg von Drais (1803-07), who in 1804 created together with garden director Johann Michael Zeyher an arboretum in the palace gardens. At the same time he ran a private forestry school, where his nephew, the inventor Baron Karl von Drais, taught from 1805 to 1907. On 12 June 1817 Karl set out on his celebrated velocipede from Mannheim Palace to the palace in Schwetzingen. The journey ended earlier than planned at a coaching inn.