This ruined castle stands above Wittlingen district of Bad Urach and offers a fabulous view of the Erms valley. You can combine a visit here with a walk to the Wolfschlucht (Wolf Ravine) and the Schillerhöhle cave.
Informationen zur Corona Pandemie. Verordnungen, getroffene Schutzmaßnahmen und Angebote. Hier finden Sie einen aktuellen Überblick…
Hohenwittlingen was first documented in 1248 as the property of the Dukes of Urach. In 1251 it came into the possession of the Dukes of Württemberg, for whom it was primarily an important military base. In 1548 the castle offered sanctuary to the reformer Johannes Brenz of Württemberg (1499–1570).
The castle was badly damaged by fire In 1576, after which it was only partially repaired. After the Thirty Years' War the castle became a prison for "poachers and other wrongdoers". It then fell into ruin. By the 18th century the abandoned castle was still offering the farmers of Wittlingen protection when enemy troops approached. After this, however, it was abandoned.
The ruins (near the Wittlingen district of Bad Urach) are freely accessible, but only on foot.