It was built in the decades around 1500 as a typical mediaeval town hall with an open ground floor that was also used for municipal trials and the grain market. Council debates therefore took place in public, and this open view of council affairs meant that the local community was equally involved.
At the beginning of the 17th century the ground floor was largely walled up and an external staircase built with late Gothic-style tracery railings. After this change, council meetings were held in private on the upper floor. This meant that the previous cooperative committee had thus become more like an upper class. At the end of the 17th century, the roof was decorated with the baroque scrolled gable. The building continued to be used as the town hall until 1933.