Waldshut-Tiengen. The Old Castle with its residental Tower belongs to the northern part of the whole toen complex. The building of the New Castle belongs to the southern part of the Castle grounds.
Informationen zur Corona Pandemie. Verordnungen, getroffene Schutzmaßnahmen und Angebote. Hier finden Sie einen aktuellen Überblick…
The upper floors of the Old Castle are used as a museum which also examines the history of the Jewish community in Tiengen. Tiengen Castle dates back to the era of the Lords of Krenkingen. In 1499, the Castle was destroyed during the Swiss siege. It was reconstructed in the middle of the 16th century.
The New Castel was rebuilt during the reconstruction within the 16th century. It served as a residence for the Counts of Sulz. During the Thirty Years' War, it was destroyed again. Inspired by its previous appearance, it was reconstructed in the following decades. Since 1687 it was owned by the Earls of Schwarzenberg. During the 18th century, the building's interior was redesigned in the baroque style. As the sovereign did not live in Tiengen permanently, the Castle was used to house government officials. After the incorporation to Baden in 1806, the new state used the Castle as an administration building. Nowadays, it is privately owned and the Castle cellar is used as a location for cultural events.